Maxsea TZ Sounder

Re: Maxsea TZ Sounder

Postby rmenendez » Tue May 27, 2014 8:10 am

Johnny,

I am getting closer to finalizing the plan and a couple of questions arose:

1. I recall reading that Maxsea can act as chart server for the network. Is this correct?
2. To connect to the internet and download weather forecast we need to have a router with internet or similar access (3G/4G, wifi). How do we connect to the router? Usually routers act as DHCP servers but I don't know if the MFD's (TZT9/14 or MFD8/12) do this and deal with IP conflicts.

Thanks
rmenendez
Furuno Super Fan
Furuno Super Fan

Postby Johnny Electron » Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 am

I recall reading that Maxsea can act as chart server for the network. Is this correct?

I can't speak for other versions because I only know/support TZ Navigator and TZ Explorer.
The TZ Explorer can act as a chart server for the NN3D system when properly configured. (TZ Navigator can't) I normally recommend the NN3D have charts loaded but put non-critical maps (like big sat photos) on the PC to serve. If the PC is down or not on the boat, the NN3D will still have essential charting.

To connect to the internet and download weather forecast we need to have a router with internet or similar access (3G/4G, wifi). How do we connect to the router? Usually routers act as DHCP servers but I don't know if the MFD's (TZT9/14 or MFD8/12) do this and deal with IP conflicts.

Your question is too broad and covers to completely different systems (NN3D/TZtouch).
If you question is about the topic (MaxSea TZ) then the PC can get the weather either by E-mail or direct internet connection. The connection (Wi-Fi, wired, Sat com,etc) is your choice.
Johnny Electron
Johnny Electron

Postby rmenendez » Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 am

Sorry if not clear when I said TZT/MFD as I assumed if it was based on either one of the 2 MFD systems one would be acting as DHCP server while any other multifunction display would be a repeater. Unless in Furuno each unit has to be assigned a fixed IP address (I don't know). I was trying to figure out how configuration would play to have internet access to get weather updates.

As far as I know the Maxsea Sportfishing is the Explorer version with the PBG module added. So, if Explorer can act as chart server can it serve charts also to TZT? I ask to know if I have to purchase the charts I bought with my Maxsea license again for each multifunction display, wether their are TZT or MFD.

Thanks, I know its many questions but I want to know what I need to get to budget for it.

Rolando
rmenendez
Furuno Super Fan
Furuno Super Fan

Postby Johnny Electron » Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm

The chart server feature is only for the NN3D. It will not work for the TZtouch. The systems have a lot alike but even more differences. The TZTouch doesn't need that option because can read maps directly from a connected USB hard drive (NN3D can't).

When it comes to weather, the NN3D doesn't have a download option or support weather other than that of the "USA only" coverage of Sirius weather and that requires additional hardware. TZTouch can support both the USA Sirius weather and the world wide NavCenter weather (like MaxSea TZ uses).

TZTouch can get it's weather via built in WiFi (that has internet access) or via it's Ethernet connection when properly connected. You might read some of the discussions under the TZTouch topic for more details.
Johnny Electron
Johnny Electron

Postby rmenendez » Wed May 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks Johnny. So the one question open is do I have to buy cartography or is the one purchased with the Maxsea license also good for TZT?

Rolando
rmenendez
Furuno Super Fan
Furuno Super Fan

Postby Johnny Electron » Thu May 29, 2014 3:59 am

TZ Explorer has a cross licence agreement on charts (Navigator doesn't). This means if you own TZ Explorer with a TZtouch (or NN3D) system on your boat; we can join the two systems (licences) together. When you order charts you get unlock codes for both systems. If you already have TZ Explorer with charts and then later purchase a TZtouch system; any charts which you currently have licensed will be given to you at no cost for your TZtouch system after we join your two licences in our system.
Johnny Electron
Johnny Electron

Postby rmenendez » Thu May 29, 2014 10:38 am

Great, that sounds fantastic. Will be placing my order tomorrow.

Rolando
rmenendez
Furuno Super Fan
Furuno Super Fan

Postby rmenendez » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:31 am

Hi Johnny,

One more question. Today, I have my PC with Maxsea getting navigation data via the NMEA0183 com port on the Raymarine system. In reading the TZtouch FAQ I see the following answers:

Q9.SYS says "Unlike NavNet 3D, navigation data (i.e. Lat/Lon, SOG, COG, Time, etc.) is not shared over the network and each TZtouch MFD must be connected to the NMEA2000 Backbone."

Meanwhile Q5.COMP says that although not available initially, chart license sharing, navigation data, radar and sounder are available.

It reads to me as I can get the data from the network into the PC running Maxsea but any other TZTouch would need to be connected to the NMEA2000 backbone to get it. Is my interpretation correct?

Thank you,

Rolando
rmenendez
Furuno Super Fan
Furuno Super Fan

Postby Acer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Rolando, I never tried it, but why dont you connect your TZtouch via NMEA to the Navdata provided by the Raymarine sensors and connect the TZtouch and the PC with Maxsea via Ethernet/Navnet??
Acer
Furuno Super Fan
Furuno Super Fan

Postby rmenendez » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:36 am

Acer, Thanks for your input, its what I was planning on doing. As the TZT will be installed late next week I was trying to figure out if I need to get an additional NMEA2000 to USB adapter to get the data. Today I get it via NMEA0183 directly from the Raymarine Seatalk adapter and works fine. Its just the statement in the TZT-FAQ from Furuno that has me confused. Today, I do not have the AIS going into Maxsea as this would require additional adapters and I am trying to keep the connections simple - less problems. I have seen in the Panbo website that Ben has put several MDF's from different brands together in the NMEA2000 backbone and has it working. This indeed it what the philosophy behind NMEA2000 was all about.
rmenendez
Furuno Super Fan
Furuno Super Fan

PreviousNext

Return to MaxSea Software (Please Contact Nobletec for Support)