Maxsea TZ Sounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmenendez

Furuno Fan
Background: I just upgraded my Maxsea from v12.6 to TZ v2 Sportfishing. I have been using the software linked via NMEA 0183 to all Raymarine equipment except for an AIS from COMAR. I have both a Raymarine E120 Classic MFD (2) with DSM300 sounder, B260 transducer, 12kW Open array radar and a new e125 MFD, CP450C chirp module and B265 transducer. I also have two PC's with monitors in both flybridge and cockpit with Maxsea TZ and Raymarine RNS. I do bottom fishing in 25-75 and 150-400 meters and some trolling at +1000 meters.

I am looking at slowly migrating all my system to Furuno but not ready to do so in one go. I am looking at replacing either of my two sounder modules first, with the corresponding MFD and continue using the transducer (for the time being). Chirp so far looks very good up to about 100 meters but, having both sounders can compare, not an improvement after thet and specially when you go above 200 meters. At a cruising speed of 22 knots I can go up to 550 meters with the B260/DSM300 and 900 meters with the B265/CP450C, but seeing more fish (or better) is another story. I would start with the TZT14 and ?????

Which sounder module should I go to for my type of fishing and Maxsea integration: DFF3 or DFF!-UHD?

In the meantime, I have not been able to get the PBG module working although digital depth data is shown at the Maxsea screens. Any hints of where to look for the problem?

Rolando

Furuno USA currently only sells and supports the Navigator and Explorer version of MaxSea TZ.

You might find some help from fellow customers here but if not; I would recommend contacting MaxSea support directly.

When it comes to Furuno sounders, the DFF1-UHD would require a proper CHIRP transducer and you could not use the ones you have. Transducers like yours can come in a diplexed version or a non-diplexed version. The type will determine what sounder it will generally work with. Can you provide the full AIRMAR part number off your existing transducers?

Hi Johnny,

My version is the, I guess, equivalent to the US Explorer plus the PBG module. I am in touch with Maxsea in Spain and France directly but here the association with Furuno is not the same as in the US. Also, there is no forum per se where to ask advise for connectivity and my questions on this area have not yet been answered (other questions have been answered quickly).

As far as my transducers, the B265 is CHIRP except with the cable termination for Raymarine. The part number if terminated for Raymarine is A80010/Airmar B265LH. Its the same transducer specified for the Furuno DFF1-UHD and as an option for the DFF3 albeit not sure if better than the B260.

The other transducer that I have installed is the 1kW option for the DFF3 but again with Raymarine termination. The part number when terminated for Raymarine is E66079/Airmar B265LH. If terminated for Furuno it is 526T-HDN-W/Fairing /Airmar 41-283-1-01 or Furuno 526TID-HDD W/Fairing/Airmar 41-282-1-01 Nor sure what is the difference.

As I look to the future I would most probably stay with only one type of sounder and today I cannot say chirp is better for my type of fishing. That is why I am asking for advise on both Furuno sounder modules I guess could work, chirp if really better than premium sounder modules aka DFF3 or FCV1150.

Hope this helps clarify my situation.

Yes, the Raymarine CHIRP B265LH will work on our DFF1-UHD if you remove the connector.
It would also be used on our tone based sounder the DFF3. Snips in the FishFinder topic area would be the best to talk with about comparing the B260 to the B265LH on the DFF3. I think he might already have some photos posted. The B265LH would be basically work same on the DFF3 as it would be on the FCV1150 or FCV295. (if you find example screen shots on those units)

What is the part numbers of your B260? They make it with a diplexer and without.
The Furuno number ending in D has the diplexer and N does NOT. The DFF3 would require the non-diplexed version to work with the B260.

Thanks for the quick reply Johnny. I have posted on the sounder topic area so hopefully I'll get an answer from Snips soon. I just realized that when I copied part of my transducer descriptions they were for the same B265. The Raymarine B260 is Airmar part number 41-230-1-01 and looking at the Airmar wiring diagram I see that it has a diplexer.

When I looked further at the Maxsea/Furuno conectivity I see that the FCV1150 will also work. Are the requirements for the FCV1150 the same as DFF3? Also, I intend to work Maxsea with 1280X1024 (SXGA) monitors. Will the DFF3 or FCV1150 supply that resolution? If not, what would be the resolution within Maxsea?

Thanks again for you help.

Rolando

Are the requirements for the FCV1150 the same as DFF3?

Yes, both the DFF3 and the FCV1150 require non-diplexed transducers.
If your B260 has a diplexer, then it could be used on the normal DFF1 (not UHD) using a Furuno cable/connector but not on the DFF3/FCV1150.

Maxsea with 1280X1024 (SXGA) monitors
It should work as long as both the PC video card and monitor both support that resolution.

Thanks Johnny,

I'll wait and see what Snips thinks as far as which way would be best. At this stage I guess its using the B265LH with either the FCV1150/DFF3 or DFF1-UHD. I have not seen anything in the forum relating to these being compared but have seen the FCV1150 with the B265LH by someone else and at the end going the B260 as he was not happy with the result.

Regarding resolution, my PC and monitors use this no problem but the FCV1150 is listed as 800X600 and not quite clear what information is sent to Maxsea to process. On this subject, would the FCV1150/DFF3 and Maxsea be adjusted independently of each other? Guess as far as transducer configuration, etc no but as far as normal adjustments by the different users.

Again, thanks for your help.

Rolando

the FCV1150 is listed as 800X600 and not quite clear what information is sent to Maxsea to process.

That is the resolution of the FCV1150 LCD display (fixed).
Your display on your PC will be driven by your PC hardware. (Normally flexible)

When using the DFF3 or FCV1150 on multiple units (via networking), it is shared info; so if you change it at one location it changes at all. Ultimately it is one sounder. Think of it as one TV having multiple remotes.

Thanks Johnny, good analogy re: tv remotes 1 tv.

But, if I have one MFD set for bottom lock does that men the other must also be set for bottom lock and exactly the same way? I was hoping it was more like one BR player playing on two TV's where you could adjust each TV independently.

In the case of a BR the data is 1920X1080 and all TV's receive the same number of lines. The equipment that determines the number of lines is the BR - it can send an HD image (1080P) or standard def (480). In the case of the sounder, which one determines the amount of information? The DFF3 works with MFD's that have 640X480 (MFD8), 800X600 (MFD12), 800X480 (TZT9) to 1280X800 (TZT14) and my monitor (1280X1024).

Thanks again for your help.

Rolando

If you change one display unit to bottom lock; so goes all the other displays (which are talking to that same sounder).

Johnny,

I am getting closer to finalizing the plan and a couple of questions arose:

1. I recall reading that Maxsea can act as chart server for the network. Is this correct?
2. To connect to the internet and download weather forecast we need to have a router with internet or similar access (3G/4G, wifi). How do we connect to the router? Usually routers act as DHCP servers but I don't know if the MFD's (TZT9/14 or MFD8/12) do this and deal with IP conflicts.

Thanks

I recall reading that Maxsea can act as chart server for the network. Is this correct?

I can't speak for other versions because I only know/support TZ Navigator and TZ Explorer.
The TZ Explorer can act as a chart server for the NN3D system when properly configured. (TZ Navigator can't) I normally recommend the NN3D have charts loaded but put non-critical maps (like big sat photos) on the PC to serve. If the PC is down or not on the boat, the NN3D will still have essential charting.

To connect to the internet and download weather forecast we need to have a router with internet or similar access (3G/4G, wifi). How do we connect to the router? Usually routers act as DHCP servers but I don't know if the MFD's (TZT9/14 or MFD8/12) do this and deal with IP conflicts.

Your question is too broad and covers to completely different systems (NN3D/TZtouch).
If you question is about the topic (MaxSea TZ) then the PC can get the weather either by E-mail or direct internet connection. The connection (Wi-Fi, wired, Sat com,etc) is your choice.

Sorry if not clear when I said TZT/MFD as I assumed if it was based on either one of the 2 MFD systems one would be acting as DHCP server while any other multifunction display would be a repeater. Unless in Furuno each unit has to be assigned a fixed IP address (I don't know). I was trying to figure out how configuration would play to have internet access to get weather updates.

As far as I know the Maxsea Sportfishing is the Explorer version with the PBG module added. So, if Explorer can act as chart server can it serve charts also to TZT? I ask to know if I have to purchase the charts I bought with my Maxsea license again for each multifunction display, wether their are TZT or MFD.

Thanks, I know its many questions but I want to know what I need to get to budget for it.

Rolando

The chart server feature is only for the NN3D. It will not work for the TZtouch. The systems have a lot alike but even more differences. The TZTouch doesn't need that option because can read maps directly from a connected USB hard drive (NN3D can't).

When it comes to weather, the NN3D doesn't have a download option or support weather other than that of the "USA only" coverage of Sirius weather and that requires additional hardware. TZTouch can support both the USA Sirius weather and the world wide NavCenter weather (like MaxSea TZ uses).

TZTouch can get it's weather via built in WiFi (that has internet access) or via it's Ethernet connection when properly connected. You might read some of the discussions under the TZTouch topic for more details.

Thanks Johnny. So the one question open is do I have to buy cartography or is the one purchased with the Maxsea license also good for TZT?

Rolando

TZ Explorer has a cross licence agreement on charts (Navigator doesn't). This means if you own TZ Explorer with a TZtouch (or NN3D) system on your boat; we can join the two systems (licences) together. When you order charts you get unlock codes for both systems. If you already have TZ Explorer with charts and then later purchase a TZtouch system; any charts which you currently have licensed will be given to you at no cost for your TZtouch system after we join your two licences in our system.

Hi Johnny,

One more question. Today, I have my PC with Maxsea getting navigation data via the NMEA0183 com port on the Raymarine system. In reading the TZtouch FAQ I see the following answers:

Q9.SYS says "Unlike NavNet 3D, navigation data (i.e. Lat/Lon, SOG, COG, Time, etc.) is not shared over the network and each TZtouch MFD must be connected to the NMEA2000 Backbone."

Meanwhile Q5.COMP says that although not available initially, chart license sharing, navigation data, radar and sounder are available.

It reads to me as I can get the data from the network into the PC running Maxsea but any other TZTouch would need to be connected to the NMEA2000 backbone to get it. Is my interpretation correct?

Thank you,

Rolando

Rolando, I never tried it, but why dont you connect your TZtouch via NMEA to the Navdata provided by the Raymarine sensors and connect the TZtouch and the PC with Maxsea via Ethernet/Navnet??

Acer, Thanks for your input, its what I was planning on doing. As the TZT will be installed late next week I was trying to figure out if I need to get an additional NMEA2000 to USB adapter to get the data. Today I get it via NMEA0183 directly from the Raymarine Seatalk adapter and works fine. Its just the statement in the TZT-FAQ from Furuno that has me confused. Today, I do not have the AIS going into Maxsea as this would require additional adapters and I am trying to keep the connections simple - less problems. I have seen in the Panbo website that Ben has put several MDF's from different brands together in the NMEA2000 backbone and has it working. This indeed it what the philosophy behind NMEA2000 was all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back