Getting PBG Data from non-Furuno sounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYNomad

Furuno Fan
I would like to take my laptop, loaded with TZE and PBG, on my buddies boat and connect to his non-Furuno sounder to get PBG data. His sounder can put out depth data in NMEA0183 format. Is that compatible? Could I plug into his RS232 port using a usb-serial adapter (since my laptop has no serial port? Other than making sure his NMEA data includes depth sentences, is there anything special amount the setup or configuration? If he can ouptut NMEA2000 is that better? Would it even work? Thanks for any advice. _rick

According to MaxSea, NMEA0183 data is compatible for the PBG function with the TZ Explorer software. If you have any problems, I would ensure that you have the latest version of software to ensure compatibility. Yes, the serial to USB adapter will be fine. The only setup would be for the adapter which should be explained by the company that makes the adapter. I don't think it makes a difference whether you connect NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 except that you would need the appropriate adapter to get the NMEA2000 data to the USB port on the computer. TZ Explorer would work with either NMEA2000 depth or NMEA0183 depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back