PBG on MSTZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYNomad

Furuno Fan
I understand (can anyone confirm or add detail) that MSTZ Explorer will soon support PBG. (I know that MS Classic already does, but that can't interface with my NN3D network, which is important to me.)

When MSTZ with PBG becomes available, I will probably purchase, but also want to make sure I can run it on a laptop (or notebook, or whatever-- I lost track of the terminology and distinctions). The documentation for MSTZ Explorer v1.9.5 has a column indicating graphic requirements but that column is blank for the last dozen or so entires, all of which are mobile (and the other columns for those rows have data and indicate that it is supported). Maybe the idea is that if you are running a Core i7 the graphics doesn't matter? Can anyone confirm?

MYNomad,
The PBG module has been available for about 6 months. It became available with the current version of MaxSea TZ Explorer (1.9.6). The optional PBG (Personal Bathymetric Generator) Module for use with MaxSea TZ Explorer uses depth information from the DFF1 or DFF3 Fish Finder to automatically record depth data to create or improve 3D Bathymetric Data. (Module Part# TZ MAXPBG - $1,000 List Price)

At this time, the PBG module is only compatible with MaxSea TZ Explorer when used in conjunction with the DFF1 and DFF3 Fish Finders. Compatibility with the FCV1150 is coming soon/planned. Anyone with older versions of TZ would need to update and install the latest version of MaxSea TZ Explorer (1.9.6) before unlocking the new TZ MAXPBG Module.

When it comes to your PC, an i7 CPU has tons of power to run the software but you need to ensure your video is compatible. Below are the system requirements for TZ Explorer:

 Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
 2 GHz Processor (Intel Core2Duo highly recommended)
 CD/DVD-ROM drive for installing software and charts
 20 GB of hard drive space for software (up to 5 GB for charts)
 Video card(WDDM driver, Pixel Shader 2.0, 32 Bits/pixel)
 Minimum: Dedicated ATI or NVIDIA card with 256 MB RAM
 Recommended: Dedicated ATI or NVIDIA card with 512 MB RAM
 Integrated Chipsets are not supported
 Screen Settings: 1024 x 768, 16 Bit (32 Bit recommended)
 Serial or USB port(s) for connecting navigation equipment (Adapter required for USB connection)
 Ethernet 10/100 Base-T for NavNet 3D connection
 2 GB RAM

My Sony Vaio laptop has a dedicated NVIDIA card with only a DuoCore 2.4 Ghz and it runs TZ very quickly. If you meet the video requirements, your i7 should fly with MaxSea TZ. If you are currently an owner of MaxSea Classic (for 1 year or more) there is a discount “loyalty program” that you should speak to your dealer about.
Johnny

Johnny,
Thank you for the clarifications. I had not expected the PBG module to be so expensive (somehow, I had the idea that it was about $250; considering that I have to buy the TZ software itself, the total price is beyond my recreational budget. Is there a cheaper alternative, perhaps with Classic explorer software? Is there any performance difference between the two software packages, in so far as the PBG goes (I am sure there are plenty of other features on the TZ software, but since I already have NN3D, I don't really anything but the PBG fundtions. If I do get the classic Explorer, can that be integrated to my NN3D system, or will I be limted to receiving NMEA data? Best of all, is there any propsect of an upgrade to NN3D to incorporate PBG functionality? I would guess that most of your installed userbase (and certainly prospective users) would greatly appreciate that benefit, which would further differentiate the Furuno networks from all of its competitors.
Thanks,
Rick

Rick,
The MaxSea Classic PBG module was the same price years ago, as TZ PBG is now. It is a high end module that is used a lot with surveys and other projects. When you compare it to other units that do similar functions, the price is really reasonable. The Explorer TZ PBG feature should offer better bathy data when compared to MaxSea Classic. Classic will take any depth source that can provide the proper NMEA information. The bathy data is only as good as the source. Explorer TZ PBG will only use sources that include a “Quality of Data” to ensure that the depth being recorded has a certain level of quality. The end result will be better quality PBG product.

Your thoughts on opting for MaxSea classic with PBG is a good one. The software is proven and works well. You can connect normal (Non-NavNet) MaxSea Classic up to your 3D system and pull basic NMEA data over the network . The network sounder depth would be used for your PBG but you would need to conduct all your sounder controls via your NN3D. You would never have sounder control/display on the MaxSea Classic PC. You could display the live PBG creation but not live sounder/control display. Going this route, you would be looking at MaxSea Explorer 12.6.4. The MaxSea Classic Explorer now combines many functions previously only available in different versions and/or with different modules. It now includes Personal Bathymetric Generator (PBG) and the AIS and ARPA "MAXMOBILE" Module. The current price for MaxSea Classic Explorer is $1165.00

Early on there was development talk about the NN3D trying to incorporate PBG functionality but it never developed. I am not aware of any current plans for this to happen. Even with MaxSea TZ, when you use PBG, it only effects your PC bathy data, not the bathy (3D data) used by the NN3D.

Considering you have the NN3D; TZ Explorer would offer Radar control, Chart cross-licensing and chart Server features. TZ might be a trade off of features and price when you compare the two software packages.

Johnny

Johnny,
Is there a dealer in the Los Angeles area that can demonstrate this software (TZ and Classic Explorer) to me? Or, if not, is there "trial" software available (or the ability to get a refund if I uninstall shortly after purchase)? I would really like to see it before I spend so much money.
Thanks,
Rick

MYNomad,
I would recommend contacting the dealers directly. They all are allowed to have a full blown dealer license for both MaxSea Classic and TZ but not all dealers have setup a display/demo. Please use our dealer locator link below.

http://www.furunousa.com/Support/DealerLocator.aspx

If you have problems finding a dealer who can show you MaxSea, let me know. (PM me)
Johnny

MYNomad
I never got your PM (Private Message). If you can, please PM me your name and contact info and I will ask the area manager to see what he can do.
Johnny

I just send a second PM, and received a "Your PM has been successfully send" dialog box, but I got that yesterday, too. I must not be sending the PM correctly, so you probably would not receive a PM from me of my info. Could you PM me your contact info (since you are probably better at working the PM thing than I am)? Alternatively, perhaps the moderator (but that's you) could lookup and forward to you my e-mail address (I don't want to publish it for obvious reasons)? Thanks, Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back