MaxSea on Mac Powerbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I have been struggling to run Maxsea TZ on a new Mac PowerBook Pro w/Lion, Windows 7 and Parallels (first choice) and Boot Camp (second choice). Using Parallels the software installed OK but when it loads it only gets to about the 90% mark then hangs 4 times out of 5. The fifth time it will load & run! Anyone who has had success with this setup I would love to hear how you did it.

Using BootCamp and starting up with Win 7 the software loads and runs fine, but the default 20G partition is too small, now I have to uninstall EVERYTHING and start over. If anyone has had success with this I would love to know how big a partition they needed.

ric8138,
From a MaxSea standpoint “Parallels” is not supported. There might be some users who have taken this route, and have some advice to offer. (speak up folks)
“Boot camp” should work fine, but you still need to meet requirements; including the hard disk space. You will need the space required by your chosen Windows operating system, plus AT LEAST 20GB of hard drive space. It is normally better to have more than Minimum specs.
Johnny

I have the software up and running after several installs of Boot Camp and MaxSea TZ. I have it installed on a 35G partition but I am still getting a "Disk Full Alarm" as soon as I load a chart. Is there any way to store and access the chart catalog on an external Hard Drive? I am going to go through the Windows install and eliminate sample movies etc to try to reduce the bloatware there.

I really don't want to go through the BootCamp partition, Install Windows, Beg for another Activate token, Install MaxSea TZ loop again, so I will be sticking with my 35 Gig partition for Windows & MaxSea. If I was doing it over I would probably opt for a 50Gig partition as I can only keep 1 chart at a time in the partition without getting a "disk full" error. Windows 7 64bit takes up an awful lot of that space. Can anyone say for sure that the 32 bit install of Win7 is any smaller?

I am also looking for help moving the chart library to an external hard drive, but there doesn't seem to be any way to point MaxSeaTZ to a different directory to load charts. There are mentions of using the "Move my Data" command in Windows to move the Documents folder, but of course that command seems to have disappeared in Win7, or at least it's not visible in the "Start" window as suggested in MaxSea, and the Win Help database doesn't have an entry by that name. I would appreciate any help from those more knowledgeable about Windows about how I might get the charts onto an external drive and access them there.

ric8138,
Your activation/license can be removed before formatting the drive and prevents you from having to justify asking MaxSea to add another activation. Each license of MaxSea TZ comes with two activations (boat/home). It is simple enough to go under the programs - MaxSea - Remove license. When the license is properly removed, the new install can be activated without any problems.

You have to install your charts into MaxSea for them to work, so I am not aware of a method of keeping your charts on an external drive. Maybe you can keep your charts on an external drive and uninstall the one not needed at the time from the active drive and then install the one you wish to use. With large hard drives being so low cost now, it seems like the solution would be to get a larger drive and increase the size of the partition dedicated to the Windows.

Johnny

I am running MaxSea in Parallels 7 on my MacBook Air (late 2011) without difficulty. I allocated (as I recall) 65-70 GB to the Bootcamp partition.

And I have it loaded on a new MacMini, booting into Windows 7 Professional, on the boat. That's a new install and I haven't had much time to play with it but so far it runs fine.

MaxSea 1.9.6 runs fine under Parallels v7. But to have use of the NavNet Ethernet connection, you need to select the VM network adapter to be in "bridged mode".
IMG2168-S.jpg

Here is the Splashtop feed to an iPad:
i-SHFRHmR-S.jpg

ciao!
Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back