Wonky TZT3 Touchscreen

LowTide

After my TZT3's have been powered on for a long time, the touchscreens get wonky. One of the things I have seen a few times is that it will respond normally to a single finger but two finger operations like pinch to zoom don't work at all.

I have not determined the exact sequence of events that causes it, but whenever it has happened it has been after I've been fishing for 6+ hours. It has happened to both of the screens but not at the same time. Once it starts, it doesn't fix itself until the next time I use the boat--I have not tried power cycling the unit when it happens which would probably be a good idea but I'm trying to fish, not play beta tester.

Thanks for letting us know. If you find a pattern please let us know. Do you had the DFF3D and run PBG on your system?

Is there good ventilation in the compartment behind the TZT 3s? Are you in a place that has hot weather? The MFDs give off a significant amount of heat. It is possible that after running for several hours, they are too hot, which could lead to odd behaviors. The fact that it goes away after the boat has been sitting for a while (and presumably everything has cooled down) suggests overheating could be a problem.

I have a small cooling fan and a fresh air inlet that ventilates the area behind my MFDs, which also has a DFF-3D box and AIS transponder in it contributing to the heat. You might need something like that.

Yes, like anything electronic heat can be an issue. Very good point to consider if you haven't. I saw more heat sensitivity issues with TZT2 than TZT3 but heat/cooling definitely matters.

Plenty of open space behind them.

These screens get super hot to the touch in hot and sunny weather when they've been on a while (sunny = max screen brightness, additional heat). This latest episode the ambient temp was probably 65 degrees and it was overcast. Screens were cool to the touch.

No DFF3D.

If there's a way for the unit to show internal temp I can check that when it acts up next time. With that said, as it has happened to both units but not at the same time, I am thinking just another software bug. Rebooting and seeing it's fixed would confirm.

When you get time, maybe you could pull the LOG File from the machine in the service menu and pass that to Tech support with the description of the problem. Sometimes they can look at the log file and get some clue to what might be happening.

Back