Which to buy?

danderer

Furuno Fan
Replacing all my electronics with Brand F. 50' recreational trawler, coastal and limited offshore. No fishing or bird-interest. Would be nice if it would pick up pots under good conditions.

Looking at the DRS4D-NXT vs. DRS6A-NXT/3. The open array has better beam width and longer range. I don't see the longer range being useful to me. Don't know about the beam width. Anything other meaningful differences?

I'm thinking the dome would be sufficient for my needs. Comments?

Thanks in advance.

As a 50ft boat, I would recommend the open array. Here is a customer log (https://svsunflower.org/ 6 Sep 2021) that has a boat picking up pots very easily with his open array NXT in New England. While you might be okay with a dome, the tight beam of an open will ensure better resolution of targets.

"I ran the radar and navigation while Steve took the helm to get out of the mouth of the cove while dodging lobster pots and lobster fishermen.

It turned out we had fog all the way from Holbrook Island to Linikin Bay. That meant Steve M and I never left the pilothouse for more than a head call the whole trip. The visibility was mostly 200 feet which does not give much time to maneuver when you spot lobster pots. Fortunately the amazing radar once again worked wonderfully. We learned that it also detects lobster pots on calm days like this so we could tell when we were coming into a field of lobster pots. "

Thanks.

The decision might come down to what I can actually lay my hands on over the next few months. Open might be better but given what I've read I don't think I can go too far wrong with either choice.

My DRS4D-NXT Screen shots we are very Happy with it! Furuno Rocks.

Attachments

• TZT3Screen_2021_11_26_13_00_22.png
    TZT3Screen_2021_11_26_13_00_22.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 378
  • TZT3Screen_2021_11_26_13_00_56.png
    TZT3Screen_2021_11_26_13_00_56.png
    235.3 KB · Views: 377
  • TZT3Screen_2021_11_26_16_21_56.png
    TZT3Screen_2021_11_26_16_21_56.png
    305.8 KB · Views: 378
There are many lobster pots in my area. Bear in mind that if you just have a small pot float without a radar reflector or flag, it is not much of a target. The narrower beamwidth of the open array will help a lot. In fact, you should think about getting the largest array you can fit on a boat that size. I have a six foot array with a DRS25A-NXT and it is incredibly good at showing pots especially within a mile or so. In fact sometimes on clear days I will see a radar target that is a pot float I hadn't noticed visually. If there are a lot of pots, I will run dual range with 1/2 mile on one side and 3 miles on the other.

As for the power and range rating, keep in mind that what you are getting with a higher power radar is better ability to see small targets close with more power on the target and better resolution of targets close together. Also depending upon whether there are a lot of thunderstorms where you live, the higher power "long range" radars are great in allowing you to see the storms farther away and more distinctly. Radar is basically line of sight so my six foot open array can't see a strong return target floating on the water much farther than a small dome radar. But I can see a weak return small target, a high shoreline, a big container ship, or a thunderstorm cell at a much greater distance.

The small black marks you see on the course line in the image below are pot floats. The bigger ones are pots with flags with some birds mixed in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 10.17.32 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 10.17.32 AM.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 363
Back