TZT2 doesn't see GPX files on USB drive

jaredjensen

I'm trying to create auto-generated routes and import them to the TZT2. The TZT2 doesn't appear to auto-route as my old Garmin plotter did.

So I created a route in the Navionics web Chart Viewer, which sync'd to Navionics on my phone. I then exported a GPX file from my phone, saved to Google Drive. I copied this to a
4GB FAT32 USB thumb drive using a Mac, but the drive was formatted on a PC. The drive lights up when I connect it to the TZT2 USB cable, and I can save screenshots to the USB drive. It doesn't prompt me where to save them; the screenshots silently go to the USB drive.

However, when trying to import the routes (user objects), it says no items found. Are there special requirements for the GPX filename or contents?

No it should work. It most likely doesn't like the Media or the apple has played a part. If you open a case with support (www.FurunoUSA.com - Ask a question) and attach the file they can test it to ensure it isn't the file. You can drop a route by hand with touch 10x faster than the autoroute programs and it's much safe. One of our dealers sent me a photo of a prop that hit a rock because of use of one of those programs. People are normally better at picking a path than any computer. If you want to use them, be careful. The GPX file should work. Waypoints are pretty easy with GPX but the routes might be an issue, I can't say other than most GPX files I have seen work fine.

Thanks for the info, I'll send the file to support. Since the TZT2 was able to write the screenshot, I figured that ruled out any problem with the thumb drive. The GPX file appears to be pretty basic XML, but (as a software engineer for 30+ years) I can easily see how some small issue with the format would cause the plotter to ignore it.

I respectfully disagree about routing by hand being faster. Here in Puget Sound, it requires a lot of waypoints to make an efficient route, and I've found Navionics to be pretty good with auto-routing. The TZT2 is juuust laggy enough to make creating routes kind of painful. I drive the boat and only use autopilot in heading hold mode, so I'm definitely not trusting the route to avoid hitting things. It's just nice to manually follow a pink line and minimize fuel burn. :D

Again, thanks for the quick reply!

To follow-up in case someone else stumbles on this, the filename must have an extension that matches one of the supported file format. So I just added a ".gpx" extension to my filename and was able to import the route.

Thanks for the follow up. Odd they don't save in the GPX file extension to start with but that is very good infomation. Thanks for sharing.

Back