trouble tracking moving fish

A

Anonymous

I am having trouble tracking fish as they come up on the jig on my 1670. Here is a screenshot of a large lake trout coming up from around 80' to intercept a jig. You can see the thin line coming up which is the fish and it is difficult to see the line with live action. My settings are on auto with BL and low frequency/accufish. My old unit had a 20 degree transducer and would track the fish with a wide line and was easy to track when the fish/jig met. Any suggestions on settings e.g. switching to high frequency/narrow cone? Thanks

Attachments

• thermo 1.jpg
    thermo 1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 950
Sicilian,
Thank you for your screen shot. Just know that the ACCU-FISH mode uses both frequencies even though you are viewing only the HF or LF. This slows down the screen advance rate by one half. Next time out try turning off the AF mode to compare the display update rate, thus your targets. Also in looking at your screen shot your targets are nice and clear, for me it's a little to clear. I would also try using a little more gain. Here you could go back to a manual gain setting or try increasing the Auto Fishing gain.

Snips

Thanks for the info. I also read and did not realize that the accufish function slows down the transducer transmission by 50% which it does when I clock the screen. Would turning off the accufish also help with seeing the moving fish better? Also, I like the bottom lock feature but it also seems to slow the screen down and you lose the white edge with it on, so would bottom zoom be better? Thanks

Siclian,
Using just Bottom Lock function does not slow the TX rate down.

Snips

So I took your advice and made some adjustments (turned off accufish, turned up the sensitivity to 2+ in LF, and left the sonar in bottom lock) and here is a screenshot of the results. The jig is clearly visible and this large lake trout come up about 7' to inspect jig in 106 FOW. I like the accufish function but it does slow the screen down by 1/2.

Attachments

• mac attack.jpg
    mac attack.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 861
Back