Track is outside Cross track error lines in Nav mode

djleu

I have TZ215s at upper and lower helms and also matched Navpilot 700 autopilots. On Nav mode, my track is always to the left of the cross track error lines, more so for longer legs. It does eventually correct at the end to hit each waypoint. Is there some way I can achieve greater accuracy between waypoints, staying within the cross track error lines? Many thanks! Great support system, as always, by Furuno.

Cheers,
Don

It does sound to me like a great circle vs. rhumb line difference. Like drawing a rhumb line and steering a great circle, or vise versa. Haven’t been on a longer east/west leg with my new TZT2 yet, to see what it does. The manual doesn’t say anything. My previous Plotter allowed to select either for the whole route or a particular leg, but displayed the rhumbline regardless of the setting but steered ok.

Thanks for your note but I suspect this is not a rhumb line issue. The leg segments are short, usually a mile or less as we navigate through the San Juan Islands and coastal British Columbia. Given that we have to travel somewhat close to reefs, islands, and shallows sometimes, this error in our nav mode route sometimes puts our boat in a bit of danger. It makes the Nav function not especially useful. Though I love all our Furuno gear this is a problem for us. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Cheers,

Don

Thanks, Johnny. Much to learn. The NavPilot 720 had been set to Course/Eco. I reset to XTE/Precision. Will that fix the issue?

Thanks, again!

Cheers,
Don

Back