Scx20 and CoG

KC2400

I’m installing the scx20 and dff3d on a Kevlacat2400 but Im having no luck getting answers on the position of the boats centre of gravity. There are general guides about the CoG position which I think I will need to adopt. How critical is it to precisely know the position of the CoG? The vertical distance between the scx and tm54 will be about 2.8m with the CoG somewhere in between so I might have a +-0.5m error. Horizontal distance is about 4m so likely a similar +-0.5m error.

Is there anything i can do to get a more precise setup or is it not that critical?

Normally the hull manufacturer should be able to provide you the CG location. I think if the measurements are in doubt it might be best to use the transducer pitch and roll sensor until you can find the correct measurements. @Deep Blue

KC2400,

The CoG Reference Point needs to be a point on the boat that is easy for you to measure from. For the smaller boats, finding the actual boat's CoG Reference Point need not be so critical , just try to use your best guess to find area that you think where it might be.

Then you'll need to clearly mark that area with tape and then use it as the CoG area to measure between Transducer, SCX20, etc. I like to measure from the marked CoG spot, right up to the center of the sensors i.e. (Satellite Compass, Transducer, or Motion Sensor).

If you follow these steps you'll be pretty precise as you'll need to be...

- Deep Blue :cool:

thanks for your help. I contacted the manufacturer but unfortunately they cannot assist since the business has just changed hands and there is no documentation on any of the boats. I will use the guidelines in the manual to estimate where CoG is.

Back