SCX-20 Mount

remotecaptures

Reading through the SCX20 installation guide it says that the minimal mounting plate size is 130x130mm. At first I thought this size might be for a ground plane for the GPS antennas, but then I realized this antnena is often mounted on hard tops that's aren't metal or grounded so that wouldn't make sense. Can the mounting surface be smaller than 130x130mm and if not, why not?

Capture.JPG

I was planning on mounting the SCX20 on a small platform (317.5mm long x 102.5mm wide X 6.45mm thick) on my radar arch under the radar like this:
image (11).png

Another shot of the mounting location:
Capture.JPG

I really don't have many other mounting options but wanted to make sure that I can mount it on something smaller than 130x130mm it would be ok and that there wouldn't be any issues from the radar irradiating the GPS receivers. I can't imagine the DRS12a radar antenna will physically block the GPS signal and think its unlikely to irradiate the GPS with a 24° beam angle but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

It is under the radar beam so no worries there. I don't think it will like the array going over the top of it and blocking/reducing the signal from the sats. It might be okay but you should try it and run the radar and ensure that it has no issues with heading or position. Maybe check the HDOP with the radar off and not over it and then check it again with the radar running. It won't hurt the unit being placed there but reception and vibration would be the only worry. I think it will be okay.

Back