Scanner cable

cstrickland

I have scanner model RSB-0071. Serial number 3419 and display 1731 mark 3
RDP-099. Serial number 3361-2231. I had a new canvas cover for my t top and a the installer just cut the cable in half. Can I splice this back ? If so do you have a splice kit? If I must I can buy new 10 m or shortest allowed . Is this older model that was working fine worth repairing or replacing cable. Could these Connections’s been removed from scanner with out cutting cable ?

Thanks, Chuck

Can I splice this back ?
Yes you can. A simple water tight junction box from a marine store would do it. We recommend you solder the wires before putting them into the box. Small wires like the radar video coax should be soldered to larger wires before inserting them into the junction box.

If so do you have a splice kit? I
No there are too many low cost options already available in the market. The only commercial junction box would not be cost effective for your needs.

If I must I can buy new 10 m or shortest allowed
These cables are no longer available but we still have raw cable, connectors, and pins. Normally you can rebuild existing cables if need. In your case it sounds like a simple splice is the best option.

Could these Connections’s been removed from scanner with out cutting cable ?
Yes, normally the cable is disconnected at the dome (reverse the install instructions) and the small connectors are de-pinned so that the cable can be pulled through. Once the job is done the cable pins are put back in the connectors and the cable is reinstalled at the scanner.

The cable was cut about 2 ' from scanner, I told the installer they could be disconnected from inside scanner. Anyway there is plenty of cable rolled up in t top electronics box. Could I just use the connectors attached to scanner install new pins and install pins back in connectors without splicing. Which would be the easiest to accomplish? Where can I get a wiring Diagram for this ?

Thanks, Chuck

As you have plenty of cable length left, it might be easiest to splice it just a few inches from the plugs and keep the splice protected inside the dome. Just a thought.

Could I just use the connectors attached to scanner install new pins and install pins back in connectors without splicing.

Yes this would be the best way to do it. You can order the needed pins from the dealer. If you don't have a pin crimper you might need to rent one from your dealer. Taniwani is correct that keeping any connections external to the scanner sealed is recommended.

Where can I get a wiring Diagram for this ?

The wiring diagram is on page S-1 of the installation manual. You should also take a photo of the connectors (showing wire color pin out) before you start so you can use that as a reference.

The interconnection shows it uses three connectors.

VH9 - Housing pn 000-505-893
VH4 - Housing pn 000-505-887
NH13 - Housing pn 000-505-610

VH pins are pn 000-100-049
NH pins are pn 000-505-493

Back