RDP-149 won't start?

Bayhouse

Furuno Super Fan
Everything had been working perfectly prior to this project unrelated to the Furuno gear.

Was re-connecting a Furuno GPS antenna (new early this year) splice in my tower and before sealing everything up, turned on the RDP-149 vx2 and verified I was getting an accurate GPS signal - all good.

I left the unit turned on while I went to add another heat shrink to the bundle and after twisting the wires a bit, realized that the vx2 had powered down and now will not restart. Looking at the bundle, some of the black wire insulation had cracked and it likely touched the shield wire.

I didn't think to check the fuse (other electronics were working) and am away from the boat for the week, hoping to troubleshoot with a game plan for when I return.

Could the wire cross be related? Other boot-up options to try?

Yes, a short can cause the unit to shutdown and even blow the fuse.

I would start by removing all cables but the power cable and try turning it On. If it doesn't turn on, check the inline fuse in the power cable. If it does turn On, then turn it back off and add one cable at a time, checking that it powers up each time. If you find a particular cable that prevents it from powering up, it most likely has a short in that connected cable/device.

Back