Radar Signal Output Changed to an Unknown Byte Stream ( TTM vs TTD vs Unknown Binary )

BruddahIz

I had a radar system physically worked on for multi-year maintenance at sea while under way. For Years I reliably got TTD and or TTM from this radar.

Immediately after the recent (semi planned) radar maintenance I now get a binary stream.

The Byte Stream has a lot of 0x86 (decimal 134) and 0x98 (decimal 152) in the byte stream.
If you use your imagination, it almost looks like the packed payload of a TTD message – but it really doesn’t match up well to that.
If by a rare chance it is only the raw payload of a TTD message then it is version 3 (binary 2) of the packed payload of a TTD message.

It is the 0x86 signature that looks like the best indicator of the Furuno protocol type being exported.

Anyone want to guess what this binary protocol is from the Furuno radar?
(snippets - hex)
86 CF E0 98 E6
86 0F E6 9E E6
1000 0110 1100 1111 1110 0000 1001 1000 1110 0110
1000 0110 0000 1111 1110 0110 1001 1110 1110 0110

I do not know the exact radar or cards in use - Originally it was what ever the most expensive one Furuno made about 12 years ago. The sphere around it is about 7 feet or more in diameter. - I have never seen the physical radar under it. It is probable that every part has been changed or replaced on it over the years, probably more than once, including the cards and radar screens plotters on the main watch/deck stations. If that protocol looks unrelated to Furuno that would also be helpful -as it could be someone crossed a wire during Furuno radar maintenance. That protocol change from NMEA to binary is my only clue right now. - Thanks for at lease looking, any help is appreciated.

This is most likely a commercial radar. You would want to talk with the folks in the Deep Sea/Commercial products department for further help on this. However, if the components have all been changed out, then I am not sure that they can be of much help to you.

Back