Radar optimization DRSD4 TZT2

colemj

Furuno Fan
While going through the radar menu on the TZT2 with DRSD4 I inadvertently hit "optimize" and it proceeded immediately. This was in a marina with lots of close targets all around and now the radar return doesn't seem like it was before. Of course that could just be psychological, but the target resolution seems lower now.

I've always been confused about this function, and remember reading here that it shouldn't be used, or the boat should be in free water with no returns around if it is used.

Can someone explain this function, when it should be used, and how it should be used? Also, have I detuned the radar by optimizing in a marina?

Never mind, I finally found the relevant thread here through the search function. It seems I should never had run it, and I need to get out in open water and run it again.

Might be a nice feature if instead of immediately going into optimization, the software presented the user with a short description of how/when it should be run with an OK acknowledgment. Like my compass does during calibration.

Back