Radar connection lost

Omarf4

Ok, hoping for some help here folks.
Just installed a 1871F unit on my console purely for the radar functionality with my DRSW first watch radar. Boat had a Lowrance hds gen 3 12” already along with a point 1 and AIS/VHF. Nmea2k network with Yamaha gateway monitoring an F250 4.2L outboard.

Problem: the 1871F will lose connection to the radar WiFi signal within 10 seconds of making the connection. The loud buzzer comes on and indicates the connection has been lost.

Troubleshooting steps:
1) reset to factory defaults. Same issue.
2) setup a connection from my phone to the radar. Launched the furuno app and I am able to stay connected and see targets. I can switch the radar to standby and back on to transmit without any issues from my phone.
3) disconnected the 1871F unit from the nmea2k network to isolate. Still same issue, within 10 seconds of making the connection, the unit sees the radar, but as soon as I hit transmit, the 1871F will lose connection.
4) turned on transmit from my phone, made the connection from the 1871f to the first watch radar and again, within 10 seconds, the connection is lost.
5) took the boat out 2 miles out to ensure no land based interference exists, still the same issue. Connection gets dropped within 10 seconds.

Any ideas? Called furuno support but they couldn’t figure it out. For some reason, whatever interference is causing the connection to drop, it’s only causing it between the radar and the 1871F since my phone will remain connected.

Help!

Answering my own post here.....

Spent a few hours troubleshooting and figured it out. I have a Lowrance Point 1 also installed on the t-top about a foot away directly behind which was causing the connection to be lost. I moved the Lowrance point 1 to about 3 feet away and to the weak side of the radar beam (starboard side) and viola! My connection remains solid between the furuno WiFi radar and the 1871F unit......

I think I am all set at this point....got the radar overlay on the chart figured out and all is well!
5520B7DF-7117-488F-B966-E35BDA9EB8E6.jpeg

I believe that the NMEA 0400 installations standards requires three feet or more. Great job finding the problem. :jump :jump

Thanks Johnny...

Not sure if you are with Furuno support, but hoping to get the message over to "Victor" who was trying to help me out last Friday that the issue has been resolved. User error with installing the radar unit too close to the Lowrance Point 1 GPS puck.... :sorry

Back