Please help recommend transducer for 588

jskd

Looking at buying a new fish finder and decided to go with a 588, but now I need some help deciding which transducer to buy. I am from Hawaii and the water here gets really deep just offshore (1000-2000m just a few miles from land). I'm looking at a thru-hull transducer and was looking at the 526TID-LTD. It says bottom discrimination doesn't work with it , but is that something that is useful or I would need?

Fishing that we do is trolling and bottom fishing (100 fathoms or so). Or is there a better transducer that I should go with? thanks for any advice.

Jskd,
The FCV-588 paired with a 526TID-HDD will work well for you (as long as the transducer is in a good location). Yes, there are bigger transducers out there (2/3kw) but they don't match up well because their impedance is different.

Snips

Snips":14k5qy1d said:
Jskd,
The FCV-588 paired with a 526TID-HDD will work well for you (as long as the transducer is in a good location). Yes, there are bigger transducers out there (2/3kw) but they don't match up well because their impedance is different.

Snips
Thanks for the reply so the LTD isn't good enough and I should go with the HDD... What is the major differences as far as fish finding results? The boat is always on a trailer so was trying to avoid having a big object protruding from the bottom of the boat but if it's that much better I guess I could live with it. Thanks for the help.

Jskd,
If you were anchored in a lake the performance between a pair of 264's and a 526 would be roughly the same. A transducer that uses a fairing block has a better chance of getting below the boundary layer that travels down the hull of the vessel. If you are thinking about a flush mounted transducer(s) I would find a similar vessel that already has them and ask the owner about their performance at different speeds.

Snips

Snips":3uf42m3x said:
Jskd,
If you were anchored in a lake the performance between a pair of 264's and a 526 would be roughly the same. A transducer that uses a fairing block has a better chance of getting below the boundary layer that travels down the hull of the vessel. If you are thinking about a flush mounted transducer(s) I would find a similar vessel that already has them and ask the owner about their performance at different speeds.

Snips

Snips I will follow your advice and go with the 526tid-hdd, thanks for the help!

Snips":3vraiva0 said:
Jskd,

Snips
Oh yeah forgot to mention that this is for outboard engine not sure if that matters.

Back