No WAAS Signal

Southport 26

I have a MFD12 with a GP-320b3 connected. I recently switched out the GP-320b for a different GP-320b because the housing that screwed to the TTop mount was cracked. After changing the GP-320b units, I started getting a no WAAS signal with an alarm. I called tech support and they had me re-run the installation wizard which solved the problem, but when a turn off the MFD12 and back on, the no WAAS signal alarm reappears. Any thoughts on how to resolve? Could it be the antenna or wiring? The wire was cut but each wire was carefully re-connected back together.

If I turn off the WAAS signal in the settings, what am I losing with no WAAS? GPS is still working, but I am wondering what WAAS adds? Does WAAS provide more precise positioning?

WAAS adds a tighter fix. You want to run the setup wizard on the machine the GP320B is connected direct to. When you run the setup wizard, DO NOT hit "Skip". Let the setup wizard run and time out. When you next into NMEA 0183 data one, ensure it says GP320B. Ensure there are two INPUT checkmarks (and only these two) called Position COG & SOG, and Date and time. Also make sure that there are ZERO check marks going to the GPS on the OUTPUT. It gives you data. Don't send it garbage to contend with. Then click on ADVANCED setup. Set the fix mode to 2D/3D, Set the waas alarm to OFF. Set the WAAS MODE to ON with WAAS Search to "MANUAL" and use 135 (if you live on west coast) or 138 (if you live in the US East Coast). Then hit basic to go back to the previous screen. Go to the top and hit GLOBAL and sub tab "Data Sources" and ensure that your GPS source is setup for Data 1: GP320B and the same for Date and Time; then hit SAVE and EXIT.

Thank you. Your steps seemed to fix the problem. I still got a No WAAS signal several hours later, the message went away a minute later so I assume that happens from time to time when the antenna can't read the WAAS signal?

I am in Texas fishing in the Gulf of Mexico so what should I set the WAAS to since I am in the middle of west/east coasts?

Back