heading off on TZT2

donpjr

My heading is not aligning with the top of my plotter screen. It is about 15 degrees off but that is not consistent and seems to be direction dependent. This is a new problem,and coincidentally or otherwise occurred just after upgrading to v7. Can anyone help with some quick setting checks I might do to troubleshoot this. The boat has TZT2BB, plus TZT2 MFT on flybridge. PGN500 heading sensors, Autopilot 500 series. I am not sure how all this equipment is connected together however when the AP is shut down the displays show lost heading sensor. I checked the Bearing setting in "units" and it was at magnetic. Changed to True but didn't solve the problem. Any help is appreciated as we are out cruising for next few weeks and this misalignment is awkward to adjust for.

The PG500 is most likely connected and powered by the pilot. I recommend powering everything up and setting your heading to display in MAG not TRUE. Then compare the reading for heading on the pilot head with the COG from the plotter and the Richie helm compass. I think you will find the PG500 is being pulled off from the other two. My guess is someone put something near where the PG500 is mounted and has pulled your compass off.

Thanks Johnny. We are at anchor now so not sure if direction changes are valid as boat moves around at anchor. However the AP heading and manual boat compass heading are not the same with the variation being 7 to 25 degrees. I checked the PG500 location. There are three PG500 on the boat, one for each AP (although the other 2nd AP is saying it does not pick up a heading sensor so that has to be checked). I don't know what the third is for. The 3 PG500s are mounted on a composite material bracket in the holding tank/water maker room. They were relocated about one foot this winter to make space for PEX piping run as part of a diesel heating install. The new mount is on the front side of a FRP holding tank that has an aluminum bolted on cover. The PGNs are not in a congested area and no changes to equipment were done in that area. However they were moved about a foot aft and 6 " lower to make space for pex piping. I will make a better comparison when we are out cruising tomorrow to confirm your questions. Meanwhile if any other suggestions please send along.

Having so many sources can be problematic if they are all giving data. They all need to read very close together to prevent problems and I expect one or more of them are not. Yes you must be moving to develop COG but sitting still the helm compass and PG units should read within a degree or two of each other. This sounds like a boat that could greatly benefit from an SCX20.

Thanks Johnny. I like the SCX20 suggestion, as well as simplifying my system. Would the following make sense:
1. Install SCX20.
2. Use SCX 20 as primary input for heading and position for anything that needs this information (both Autopilot 500 series units, AIS, radars, etc). I assume I can run the SCX20 info through the NEMA0183 converter to the AP and other non N2k equipment?
3. Keep one PG500 heading sensor as backup heading source in event of failure of SCX20. Eliminate the other two PG500 units (keep as spares I guess)
4. Use GPS position from flybridge TZT2 15 unit (currently primary position sensor) as backup to SCX20? This leaves a Furuno GP330B as a third position source.

Comments, additions, alternatives welcome as I will soon touch base with an installer about these modifications.

Thanks for the help. Regarding the original problem, we ran 900 miles with messed up heading view and can confirm the degree of deviation changes with the direction we are going. It was manageable but annoying. The SCX20 looks like an attractive upgrade.

Yes you plan is sound except you can't choose which source the system will use once it loses the primary. (say between the GP330B and the internal GPS sensor) The system will lock on to the next available source if the primary is lost. Of course once you determine the primary is down, you can always change what your preferred source is to the item you want to have the system use. The SCX20 will drive a nail through fluxgates moving forward. It is nice not having to worry about the metal or electrical interference pulling the compass on a boat. The pilot and radar overlay will work much better with the upgrade.

Hello Johnny. Understood. This project is on the list for next cruising season. I'm looking forward to the performance boost in heading performance.

Thanks for the help/
Don

Back