DRS4DNXT - Switch?

I've only found this thread in my search:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3636

The installation manual says that the DRS$DNXT should be wired to a switch.

Is that (a) it's own switch or (b) the house battery master switch? (since the radar and all electronics will be wired to the house battery)

-If I don't have to use a switch on the dash switch panel, great
-But, I don't want it drawing current all the time either - i.e. at anchor, with TZT2 off and only using the house bank for lights, etc.

Also:

This is a small boat - to confirm, leave the black wire disconnected since there is no grounding system? (red to +, blue to -, black disconnected)

Is vulcanizing tape necessary if the connection of the power/LAN cable to the cable assembly if the connection is inside the pilothouse?

If you don't want the radar to be in standby pulling power you will need a switch.
You don't have to have a switch but it will pull power if you mains are on and you don't at least have a sub breaker for the radar.

The pigtail cable is rather short so it isn't common to see that connection in a good weather protected area. If it is protected, the option is yours. I think it is still good to act as a strain relief on the connection and guard against vibrations and other things that might pop the connection apart. It is good practice but needed if the cable is exposed.

Thanks - I'll be putting it on it's own switch.

I have about 18" of pigtail in the cabin to work with. Proper strain relief will be taken care of.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180809-094408.png
    Screenshot_20180809-094408.png
    268.7 KB · Views: 1,709
  • IMG_20180815_131145767 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180815_131145767 (1).jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 1,709
Johnny Electron":5xr1gjbf said:
Nice antenna mounting and sweet looking bridge.

"bridge"....yes, on my 25 ft. "yacht" :lol:

Thanks for your help, as always. Just need to map out what will get switched again and what won't.

Late to the party here but for future reference you probably want that radar on/off switch backed up by a 5A breaker. This would be the "sub-breaker" that Johnny mentioned.

Back