DRS-NXT vs DRS X-Class

CBBeaty

Furuno Fan
I am looking to upgrade my Furuno 24 inch radome to an open array mainly for longer range performance for birds and running to the bahamas. What is the difference between the two models listed in the subject matter? THis will be installed on a 29 foot Seavee. I probably can't do a six foot antenna so will have to live with the 4 foot. Also looking at options that include power higher than 25 watts. Would really appreciate the education on the differences.

I can speak to the DRS25A-NXT which is a 200 watt digital radar. I have both a 4ft and 6ft flavor on 2 different boats. On a calm day that I have tracked working birds a little over 12 miles away on a calm day here in the Chesapeake Bay with my 4ft array on my express. The working birds were also covering an area almost 2 acres in size that particular day as well. I have tracked targets with my sportfish at about the same distance but never ran that far to validate that they were working birds, have also tracked storms that were about 90 miles out with the 6ft radar, never tried with the 4ft. I believe that @Quitsa can provide further insight on the magnetron radars as well as additional feedback on the DRS25A-NXT.

My experience would suggest that on balance, you will do slightly better picking up birds at long range with a DRS-12 or 24AX magnetron that with the DRS25A-NXT solid state. The higher power 12 or 24kW magnetrons might give you a couple of miles more range. But the DRS25A-NXt will definitely show birds well at least to 6 miles or a little more if it is not too rough.

For all other purposes, I would tend to favor the solid state DRS25A-NXT that I have now. It is excellent at ARPA target tracking and very close range display of targets.

Just for fun, yesterday I went to get hauled out and change my props. I took a screen shot as I was passing through the large mooring field outside the boat yard. You can see the outstanding target resolution of the DSR25A-NXT.
Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 1.17.51 PM.jpeg

Guys, It looks like I can use my existing wiring if I upgrade from a DRS25A to a DRS25AX....true?

Not true. The wiring is different and the DRS25A uses 48v so uses less current than the DRS25AX at 24v, meaning the wiring gage is a possible issue as well. The older DRS dome cables can be re-used by removing the pigtail cable but all open arrays must use the newer type cable.

I have a DRS25AX and strongly recommend it. I forget the minimum proximity that it will show a boat but this is an inconsequential 'benefit' of the solid state radars. Even in jam-packed mooring fields it shows the boats very close by--I see absolutely no practical benefit to showing targets any closer than the 25AX does. You're not going to use a radar to steer around a target 10' off your bow even in the thickest fog and darkest night. I think the implementation of the doppler processing (need to be on a special screen) eliminates the practical utility of that feature as well. ARPA with the 25AX is outstanding as well--it is impressive to see how well the course & speed match between AIS and ARPA. I don't know if the AX is any better or worse than the NXT here, but it could not be better in a practically significant way. One thing that could be improved is the automatic acquisition of targets. Sometimes it seems to grab them, many times I am manually acquiring targets, especially at sea when it's been running for a while. Perhaps the NXT is better here, but they are likely running similar software with similar results, but that's a guess.

And the benefits are significant in my opinion. The combination of massive power output and truly amazing receiver sensitivity combine to make for a best-of-breed instrument. Bird finding is off the charts great, head and shoulders above anything else I've tried, and I've tried and owned a lot of different radars. Flocks, single birds, small, large, in close, out at distances I'd never bother running after them, it is exemplary, and the info is displayed in a way that is extremely easy to tell what you're looking at. I can tell with ease if it's birds vs. boats, small flock vs large, etc. No guessing. It's ability to paint distant shorelines with awesome detail while simultaneously showing any target of interest in close is awesome. Dual range is nice when the fog is crazy thick (happens a lot around me), but generally isn't even necessary. The auto settings work extremely well so you don't have to mess with it if you don't want, although I do like to play around with settings. I think it is the best recreational radar ever made.

Hiccup, Thanks for taking the time writing that, it was very useful. I see an AX in my future. I had to run new wiring when I went from a 6kW to a 25kW so replacing again will be easier as I had to add an access port.
I run in fog a lot, I run at night a lot. That close distance proximity would be great exiting my harbor.
You sold me on the Bird mode.

Make sure you have an SCX20 in your system regardless of which way you go! I think that is a big part of the excellent overlay/trails/arpa performance!

Back