Considering TZT2 15, matching equipment?

muttskie

I'm considering installing a TZT2 15 in my Kadey Krogen 39 trawler and want to verify proper matching equipment.
DRS4D NXT radar.
NavPilot 711C autopilot, with second control unit.
HRP11-12 autopilot pump
FPS8 power steering module
Fi70 displays, 3 ea
MCU002 remote control unit
525STID-MSD transducer
Airmar 220WX Weather/GPS/Heading sensor

I am particularly concerned about the data provided by the Airmar 220WX unit as to GPS and Heading data on the network and both the NXT radar's, and the autopilot's, acceptance of it for proper and complete performance. Furuno markets this exact sensor (rebranded, of course) but I want to make sure before I purchase.

I also want verification about the transducer. Is it the right one for the Touch2? Is there a better choice?

Thanks,
Bill

Hello Bill,

You have a very good list, but I would recommend replacing the MCU002, with the MCU004. The MCU004 with give you Edge Swipe Capability for the TZT2, the MCU002 won't.

I also would recommend using the GP330B as your GPS Sensor, and utilizing the PG700 on the Navpilot711C as the Heading Sensor.

The 525TID-MSD is a 10-Pin, 600 Watt-50/200khZ Bronze Through-Hole Transducer that will give you Bottom Discrimination for the TZT2.

Hope this helps,
Deep Blue.

Hello Deep Blue,

Thank you for the tip regarding the MCU004's edge swipe capability. I hadn't caught that difference in my research. I will select the MCU004.

I'm curious about your implied rejection of the Airmar 220WX. Furuno sells this exact sensor and in the product detail page
( http://furunousa.com/products/ProductDe ... er+Station )
it clearly states the heading and gps outputs are top quality, going as far to quote Airmars claim "to best in class", etc. Please clarify if using this multi-function sensor will, or will not, provide proper network data for the full and correct operation of the associated TZTouch 2, NXT radar, and the Navpilot 711C?

Again, I know you don't test other companies components, but Furuno sells this exact unit. I can just as easily buy the Furuno branded item.

And, I would ask that you expand upon your reply about the transducer. Particularly as to other options that may, or may not, be better. The boat is a 39 foot trawler for cruising and occasional, casual fishing.

Bill,
In regards to using the 220WX Sensor opposed to using the GP330B. You can use the 220WX and it will work just fine. But you really don't need the Heading out of the 220WX, as you can get that Heading information through the PG700 from the FAP711C via the NMEA 2000 network.

I would recommend that you do select the 525TID-MSD Transducer. Its a pretty good fit for exactly what you will be doing, and the transducer will give you great depth information ( cruising and occasional, casual fishing), along with the Speed/Temp.

When using the Bottom Discrimination feature, it may come in handy when trying to select a good anchoring location (Rock/Sand/Mud/Gravel).

Deep Blue - ;)

Hello Deep Blue,
Thanks for the quick response. And for the helpful information.
I'll probably use the Furuno 220 WX. It outputs high quality heading data to the network, as the sensor is the well respected Airmar H2183. I, also, really want the comprehensive meteorological data it provides and it's installation will simplify the overall network configuration.
And, the 525TID-MSD Transducer will be the one!
Thanks again,
Bill

Bill,
The 220WX weather station is a good weather module to have, however, its primary function is weather data. Yes it can get position and heading, but trying to use the 220WX position and heading information to drive your autopilot and/or navigational aid to your TZT2 might not be the best option for a few reasons.

Keep in mind the 220WX sensor is exposed to the elements, which gives you a higher chance of degradation than of components mounted inside the vessel. I recommend to use the weather station's position and heading data as a redundant system in case of primary component fails.

The Navpilot 700 should come standard with a PG700 heading compass, and is highly recommended to use this heading sensor for normal operation of the pilot.
Also the TZT2 does have internal GPS, however once you flush mount or install the TZT2 into your dash, then that signal is blocked and has to travel through more material which in turn can give you a weaker GPS signal.
I understand you want the best source of position and heading,
I recommend installing the following:
The PG700 for your main source of heading.
220WX for position and backup source of heading.
It cant hurt to install a GP330B antenna for position as well, its always a good idea to have a backup in case something happens or degrades (if you do decide to install the GP330B then select this as your primary source of position)

to summarize: TZTL15F, DRS4D-NXT, 220WX, Navpilot 700, PG700, GP330B would be the best option for ease of interfacing and operation, and redundancy.

DB,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply and suggestions.

I had overlooked that the Navpilot 711C included the PG700. I will, of course, use the PG700 as the primary source for heading data. Thanks for setting me straight about that!

And, I will install a GP330B GPS sensor as well.

I'm reconsidering the 220WX, though. I may just use a Maretron WSO100 as a source for weather data.

Thanks again,
Bill

Back