Adding AutoPilot to TZT2 12"

Niteriderrr

Hi,

After reading the forum posts, manuals, etc. thought I might just instead ask the forum.

I have a 12" TZT2 with the DFF3D transducer/module and an SCX-20 Satellite Compass. It sits in a fibreglass centre console with a 2011 Suzuki DF175 outboard. The outboard has hydraulic steering and its ECU is connected to the TZT2. I want to add an autopilot so I can:

- save time and fuel travelling to destinations compared to driving manually; and
- efficiently and accurately sound the bottom by setting up routes that work a grid (e.g. travel 1km east from a starting point, then go south for 50m before turning west for a 1km, then go 50m south then repeat.)

What are my options for installing an autopilot to do this?

Cheers,

Brent.

Good morning,
I would look at the NavPilot 300 with most likley the PUMPOCT10-12. you need to verify your steering ram capacity to make sure you choose the right pump. At the bottom of this link there will be a section for autopilot pumps and they will describe the size rams they are compatible with.

https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/navpilot_300

You already have the SCX20 so you will use that as your heading sensor.

I believe you will be very happy with the NavPilot 300 and it will do what you're looking for.

Cheers. How accurate is it in holding a course? If for instance I want to start working a grid with my first shot going directly east on the 18 12.000 parallel, how far will it deviate from this parallel when working the line?

Holding a straight coarse will depend on how well bled your steering system is.

You will be using the SCX20 as your heading sensor so you inputting extremely accurate heading data into the pilot and that will work to your advantage for holding a straight coarse.

During setup you also have the ability to choose precision mode and that will hold your cross track error below 0.01NM.

In my experience the NavPilot 300 does a fantastic job at holding coarse as long as the hydraulic side of the install is done correctly.

How is the ram's volume calculated for selecting the correct sized pump? Is it the barrel length x diameter alone, or is the rod's volume deducted from the barrel's volume?

The NavPilot 300 is an excellent Pilot. However it needs an adequate Hydraulic pump. On my initial install i left my old type 2 pump in from my previous AP. I figured if it worked for my old one why shouldn't it for for a NavPilot 300. Pilot would work ok at moderate to slow speeds, up to 12kts. Anything faster than this and i had an unsafe wondering condition. Bled hydraulics multiple times and re did dockside and compass calibration numerous times. None of this worked. Finally upgraded my pump to an Octopus pump and voila. It runs as straight as an arrow in 3 to 4ft seas at 35mph. The old pump could not keep up with the. II have complete confidence in this pilot. The remote is a lifesaver as well

Back