1st Watch WiFi clients

Koa

I have a WideLink AIS transponder that outputs AIS info via WiFi. That device can act as a WiFi host (just like the 1st Watch), but it can also act as a WiFi client. This is my requirement because I want both radar and AIS info sent to my iPad. Using a laptop connected to the AIS unit, I can successfully enter my 1st Watch’s WiFi password and the AIS unit joins the 1st Watch WiFi as a client. So far, so good - both radar and AIS info appears in the iPad. Here’s the problem: every time I power up the 1st Watch, it assigns a new IP address to the AIS unit. This is bad behavior because re-assigning the IP address on the AIS unit is non-trivial and is not something I want to endure with every power up. Question: is there a way to have the 1st Watch statically assign IP addresses to clients so that I can avoid this 3 ring circus?

Wifi is commonly dynamic. The DRS doesn't offer a static IP support feature. I don't even think that AIS can be setup for a static IP wifi address. There are many people doing what you are attempting and other devices that connect to the DRS and allow everything to work together without issue. Have you spoken with Miltech about your setup? Looking at their website they seem to have a pretty good explanation on how this is done. I think there might be other users here on the forum doing this that can offer some insight. The page below seems to indicate that they have been using the widelink AIS without problems.

https://www.milltechmarine.com/TIMEZERO ... _b_30.html

Below is the contact page for miltech.
https://www.milltechmarine.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

Thanks for your reply - I’m encouraged to know that others are using somewhat similar setups without problem. I have spoken to Milltech many times, he is a wonderful vendor and is always willing to help. Notwithstanding, we haven’t yet found a solution for me.

In my environment, there are times when the AIS does receive the same IP address as the last power up, and in those cases, my navigation app TimeZero can find the AIS and there are no problems. The problem only occurs when the 1st Watch decides to assign a different IP than the last power up. When this occurs, I have to connect a laptop to the AIS unit via USB in order to inspect the now current IP address, and then open TimeZero’s Initial Setup dialog box, click the connect to NMEA gateway button, and manually type the new address. This takes several minutes by the time it’s all done. Not knowing if or when the 1st Watch is going to reassign IP addresses renders the AIS portion of my navigation solution less than instantly reliable. If others are not experiencing the same issue, then I’d love to hear from these users so that I can make the appropriate change in my environment.

Some great news - by connecting to the WideLink via WiFi & browser I can access more WiFi settings than are available via the direct USB connection. From that interface, I can specify a static IP address or I can specify that the data be broadcast via UDP instead of TCP (which removes the dependency on having a static IP address). I chose the UDP route and so far it looks like it’s working perfectly.

Thanks, Milltech Marine for finding a solution for me!

Back