1621 Mark-2 Problem

knightinnc

This is original radar installed on Sabre sailboat in 1984; That may be the first problem.
Issue:
1. Radar display powers up without problem and does not display any errors.
2. All menu items are available
3. PROBLEM -The display only shows an intermittent echo return. For example, a pie slice at 12 o'clock, then another at 8 o'clock.

You get the sense that it is doing the 360 but you only see random output. Difficult to explain and difficult to get photos of it. I will try later to get photos though. Your thoughts are appreciated.

It sounds like the reed relay (not expensive part) in the radar that provide the heading flash for once per rotation. It is a wear item. If not that then it is a logic board and given the age it might be time to consider replacing it with something newer.

You guys are gonna get a laugh over this… The previous owner was probably reconnecting the wires at a junction box and unfortunately he undertook this task after one too many gin and tonics. He twisted the coax cable's outer shield and center core together and spliced it together at the box.
Here is a picture of my temp fix. I now have echoes and full sweeps.
Recommendation on a more permanent fix for that coax? Nothing perfect just good enough.
20230927_152158.jpg

I would normally say solder it up and be done with it, but you'll likely want to step your mast at some point...
Ring terminals and a shiny new terminal strip would be a good idea. Some form of corrosion inhibitor like CorrosionX or "Liquid-Lectric-Tape" on the bare coax shielding and exposed metal would be helpful as well.
1695846605717.png

Back